Sunday, April 24, 2011

Has anybody seen my brain???

After spending two years in isolation, I've been really working lately on getting a life again. If you read my last post, you'll get an understanding of how worked up I get making my way into town for an appointment. 

I can't understand how much of my independence was lost and, living rural with no car still; I find it interesting just how challenged I've been feeling.

I had an appointment with my doctor in Whitby today. The fun actually started when I was convinced that it was on the Wednesday. That would have made it yesterday. 
Yesterday came and I remember my husband, Barry telling me before he left for work that he had checked the time. I also remember checking the calendar.

Now in all fairness to both of us, we had just spent a very stressful weekend with Barrys parents and a serious health issue that I won't talk about right now.

Sure enough...yesterday Barry came home from work early to get me to my appointment. To my astonishment, we arrived 24 hours and 6 minutes early. We were both sure I must have written it down wrong but when we arrived back home, I checked....all three calendars. 

And on all three read very red ink...THURSDAY APRIL 21, 2011 @ 4:15.

So as we looked at our options, neither one of us liked the thought of Barry taking more time off work and I'd been checking out the Go Schedule lately and thought it might be a good idea to give it a try. 

As I went through the schedule, I saw that with two transfers (Oshawa and Whitby), I would be taken directly to my clinic. The only decision I had to make was between where to board the bus (Peterborough or Cavan). I decided I was in the middle and chose Cavan. 

That was my first mistake.

My second and worse mistake was trying to navigate the Go-Train from Oshawa to Whitby, without carrying on to Ajax. I saw a lot of the Whitby station...from closed doors. It turned out there is construction being carried on at the station and they're not opening doors from certain cars. Only they don't tell you until you're on your way so you have a whole ONE STOP to try to get to the right car. 
Needless to say, by the time I actually made it to the clinic, my husband had just pulled in to pick me up....after working until 5. 

So... I can now expect to be anywhere from 24 hours and 6 minutes early to two hours late. 

Needless to say, I have to reschedule that one and hope I can still remember who I am by then.
It's a damned good thing I can claim old age now.

1 comment:

Debi and/or Mollie said...

Re-Posted after losing it in cyber-space....