Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Very Special Tree...

My mother turned seventy-three almost two months ago. She's always been a real go-getter and though she's gone through surgery for knee replacement and suffers with arthritis, she hasn't really slowed down.

When I was a young child, I remember it being my birthday. My mother and I were walking along Parliament Street when my mother asked me what I would like for my birthday. My reply was a watermelon. Yes, I was a very strange child and I really did want a watermelon.

Well, my mother, being ever so wanting to please, standing 4' 10" and weighing 87 pounds; bought me my watermelon.

We didn't have the cart that day as she really wasn't preparing to be taking home a watermelon. She carried that thing from Gerrard and Parliament to River and Dundas Streets.

Throughout the years, my mother and I have had our share of disagreements. Then again, it was only to be expected. We are so alike yet so different. I take after my mother in so many ways; her voice, characteristics and mannerisms.

But much of that ends when it comes down to our core beliefs, which we've butted heads over many times until we stopped trying to change each others point of view. But I know she's still praying for my soul.

Like many people, things have been tight since I'm been out of work. Barry and I decided together that having a tree was not a priority this year. We were both okay with the idea and viewed it mainly in a practical way.

Well, when I'd mentioned this to my mother, she would have none of that. My mother has a friend who works in a thrift store up the road. And at this time of the year, used artificial trees are often donated. She went there and purchased one at a great price.
And then my seventy-three year old mother, took it home on top of her cart which was already carrying groceries. She walked over 1/2 kilometre home like that. Thank fully she gave up at the steps and left it in a safe area on the main level.

The ball in this picture was Mollie's donation for decorations.
Barry and I drove to my parents apartment the other day to have a visit with them as well as get the tree home before anything happened to it, where it was sitting. My father recently had surgery for cancer and it was great to also be able to have a visit with them both.
Yesterday we had the energy to assemble our tree and decorate it. Now, in our home, decorating the tree involves Barry putting the lights on so he can synchronize them with the music and leaving the rest to me.
 
By the time we were done, I thought it looked very pretty and I still do. 
This tree has more spirit, more energy in it than any tree I've ever had; real or artificial. It's been loved for some time before my mother carted it home for us.

And if that isn't love, I don't know what is.

Thank you Mom. I love you.

Until next time...












No comments: