Thursday, August 18, 2011

My celebration of the big 5-0

It seems that after such an extremely hot July that August has brought Autumn with it. Even my garden is reacting to the colder nights.


This August is also bringing in a special celebration for me as I will be turning fifty years old. It's really funny how fast that happens. One minute you're holding your new born baby and the next, you're holding your grand-child.


For years I've always detested birthdays. Maybe it's that I don't feel comfortable being the centre of attention. But all that changed when I turned forty. I learned how to say "No" and stick with it. And I learned to not allow myself to be drawn into other people's drama; something I still have to remind myself of at times.

But it left me often wondering what it will be like as I hit fifty. I've actually looked forward to it as I think of all the lessons I'm learning on this journey.


I was born with a condition called Ectodermal Dysplasia. I was very fortunate that I wasn't affected with many of the conditions that are associated with ED. However, I was born without roots for adult teeth and I remember how, that alone affected my self-esteem growing up. I could have also been bald. 




Many children lose their hair due to medical conditions or are never able to grow hair. Though I'm grateful for being able to grow my hair, it hasn't been easy. I've been growing it for over 10 years now and barely made it passed my shoulder blades. 



Since I started to grow my hair, I've had it all planned out that once it reached a certain length, I'd have it cut off to donate. At that time, I expected to be able to grow it a lot longer. But I do have Ectodermal Dysplasia.

Well here I am turning fifty next week, and am feeling very grateful that my hair kept it's natural colour....red. Though my hair hasn't reached the length I'd hoped for, I'm realizing that if I'm going to be able to donate it, I'm best to cut it before I go grey.

And so I started to research organizations who I could send my hair to and found a Canadian Organization called A Child's Voice Foundation. As I searched through their website, I was very impressed with what they do. And when I contacted the foundation with my proposal to raise funds, along with my hair, the response and was fantastic and quick.

My hair cutting date is Friday, August 26, 2011. I'm hoping to raise at least Five Hundred Dollars (ten dollars for each year of my life) for the foundation. I'm almost at my half-way point.


If you would like to support me in my quest, I have an online donations page.
The next evening we will be celebrating by a great fire. It will be a celebration of the journey that I call life. If you're our friend, I hope you will join us.  

Until then....















No comments: